Dean Wehunt, Chevron
Howdy e-readers! Welcome to the first ever “online only” edition of SPE Production & Operations (SPE PO). Previous online subscribers may not have noticed that the print version of SPE PO is no longer offered, or that this change is also being made for a few other journals at the same time. I meekly protested the change (with all my might), but the SPE publications staff told me that they ran out of trees. So, if you have an iPad, search the Apple App Store for “SPE Peer-Reviewed Journals” to find the reader app. The app will also soon be available in Android and Kindle Fire formats. And if you are still not too sure about this technical leap forward, all current subscribers to any of SPE’s journals now have access to all previous issues of that same journal as part of their annual subscriptions, which sounds like a really good deal.
Now, let’s move on to the seven peer-approved papers in this edition, followed by a list of recent peer-approved papers you may be interested in from other journals.
The authors of Use of Tracers To Evaluate and Optimize Scale-Squeeze-Treatment Design in the Norne Field demonstrate how to use a reservoir model, a test slug of KCl water, and field flow measurements to characterize the reservoir layers and optimize a scale-treatment design. In Minimizing Environmental and Economic Risks With a Proppant-Sized Solid-Scale-Inhibitor Additive in the Bakken Formation, the authors report encouraging results from more than 140 wells treated with a new environmentally-friendly proppant-sized solid scale inhibitor, and compare their results with a control group of untreated wells. Multiple history-matched reservoir models are used by the authors of Estimating Scale Deposition Through Reservoir History Matching in the Janice Field to predict the uncertainty in sulfate scale deposition.
The authors of Effect of Oil Saturation on the Flow of Emulsified Acids in Carbonate Rocks evaluated the effects of oil saturation in carbonate cores on both the volume of acid to achieve breakthrough and the size, number, and distribution of the resulting wormholes. In Activator Development for Controlling Degradation Rates of Polymeric Diverting Agents, the authors discuss the development of chemical activators that will degrade polymers used for diversion with a reduction or elimination of the detrimental effects that can be caused by strong acids or bases.
Analysis methods, including strongly-coupled fluid mechanics and heat-transfer modeling, and practical application examples are provided in Effective Modeling and Analysis of Salt-Cavern Natural-Gas Storage.
The authors of CFD Modeling and Experimental Observations of Changing Surface Profiles Caused by Solid-Particle Erosion consider the impact of the changing surface profile on erosion rate for three commonly encountered scenarios, including a cylindrical rod, a hole in a flat plate, and a pipe cavity.
Recent Peer-Approved Papers From Other SPE Journals
Lastly, here are some recent peer-approved papers from SPE’s other journals that may interest SPE PO subscribers.
- Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, 149400, “Effect of Completion Heterogeneity in a Horizontal Well With Multiple Fractures on the Long-Term Forecast in Shale-Gas Reservoirs,” M. Nobakht, R. Ambrose, C.R. Clarkson, J.E. Youngblood, and R. Adams
- SPE Journal, 159379, “Discrete Wellbore and Fracture Productivity Modeling for Unconventional Wells and Unconventional Reservoirs,” R.D. Hazlett and D.K. Babu
- SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering, 162845, “The Use of Microseismicity to Understand Subsurface-Fracture Systems and to Increase the Effectiveness of Completions: Eagle Ford Shale, Texas,” J. Detring and S. Williams-Stroud
- SPE Economics & Management, 162909, “Demonstration of an Efficient Concept-Selection Process for Tight and Unconventional Resources,” D. Wehunt, M.J. Hrachovy, P. Ayyalasomayajula, and S.C. Walker
- Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, 149405, “Viscosity Prediction for Solvent-Diluted Live Bitumen and Heavy Oil at Temperatures Up to 175-deg-C,” H. Motahhari, F. Schoeggl, M. Satyro, and H. Yarranton
- SPE Journal, 150633, “Well/Wormhole Model of Cold Heavy-Oil Production With Sand,” C.M. Istchenko and I.D. Gates
Oilfield Chemistry and Improved Oil Recovery
- SPE Journal, 153118, “Gel Dehydration by Spontaneous Imbibition of Brine From Aged Polymer Gel,” Brattekås, A. Haugen, A. Graue, and R. Seright
- SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering, 154318, “The Design and Execution of an Alkaline/Surfactant/Polymer Pilot Test,” A. Sharma, A. Azizi-Yarand, B. Clayton, G. Baker, P. McKinney, C. Britton, M. Delshad, and G. Pope
- SPE Journal, 163100, “Polymer Systems for Water Shutoff and Profile Modification: A Review Over the Last Decade,” K.S.M El-Karsani, G.A. Al-Muntasheri, and I.A. Hussein
- SPE Journal, 162709, “A New Foam Model in Pipes for Drilling and Fracturing Application,” A. Edrisi and S.I. Kam
- SPE Journal, 165930, “An Explicit and Continuously Differentiable Flow Equation for Non-Newtonian Fluid in Pipes,” K. Gjerstad, B.E. Ydstie, R.W. Time, and K.S. Bjørkevoll
- SPE Journal, 163288, “New Insights into Propagation of Emulsified Acids in Vuggy Dolomitic Rocks,” A.S. Zakaria, M. Sayed, and H.A. Nasr-El-Din
- SPE Journal, 164116, “Laboratory Characterization of Gel Filter Cake and Development of Nonoxidizing Gel Breakers for Zirconium-Crosslinked Fracturing Fluids,” B.R. Reddy
- SPE Journal, 162548, “Determination of Fracture Conductivity in Tight Formations With Non-Darcy Flow Behavior,” F. Zhang and D. Yang
- SPE Drilling & Completion, 163437, “Multiwell Thermal Interaction: Field-Data Validation of Transient Model for Closely Spaced Wells,” A.R. McSpadden, A.J. Gunn, and C. Dunagan
- SPE Journal, 167262, “Properties of a Natural Fracture and Its Skins From Reservoir Well Tests,” M. Prats and R. Raghavan
- Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, 168219, “Short-Term Testing Method for Stimulated Wells—Field Examples,” I.M. Kutasov
- SPE Economics & Management, 167261, “An Efficient Procedure for Expensive Reservoir-Simulation Optimization Under Uncertainty,” K. Rashid, W.J. Bailey, B. Couet, and D. Wilkinson
Operations and Surveillance
- SPE Journal, 150314, “State of the Art of Artificial Intelligence and Predictive Analytics in the E&P Industry: A Technology Survey,” C.E. Bravo, L. Saputelli, F. Rivas, A.G. Pérez, N. De Guzmán, M. Nickolaou, G. Zangl, S.D. Mohaghegh, and G. Nunez
- Oil & Gas Facilities, 160049, “Simulation of Multiphase Fluid-Hammer Effects During Well Startup and Shut-In,” G. Han, K. Ling, S.H. Khor, H. Zhang, and R.K. Thakur
- Oil & Gas Facilities, 167263, “Use of the ALARP Principle for Evaluating Environmental Risks and Impacts of Produced-Water Discharged to Sea,” J.R. Valeur and J. Petersen
Until next time,