Offshore Field Test of a New System for Model Integrated Closed-Loop Drilling Control
- Fionn P. Iversen (International Research Institute of Stavanger) | Eric Cayeux (International Research Institute of Stavanger) | Erik W. Dvergsnes (International Research Institute of Stavanger) | Ragna Ervik (International Research Institute of Stavanger) | Morten Welmer (National Oilwell Varco) | Mohsen K. Balov (StatoilHydro)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE Drilling & Completion
- Publication Date
- December 2009
- Document Type
- Journal Paper
- 518 - 530
- 2009. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 1.7.7 Cuttings Transport, 3 Production and Well Operations, 1.6.7 Geosteering / Reservoir Navigation, 1.6.6 Directional Drilling, 1.7.5 Well Control, 1.10 Drilling Equipment, 4.1.5 Processing Equipment, 4.1.9 Heavy Oil Upgrading, 1.10.1 Drill string components and drilling tools (tubulars, jars, subs, stabilisers, reamers, etc), 1.2.3 Rock properties, 5.1.5 Geologic Modeling, 1.7.2 Managed Pressure Drilling, 1.1 Well Planning, 1.2.2 Drilling Optimisation, 1.13 Drilling Automation, 4.3.4 Scale, 1.6.3 Drilling Optimisation, 1.6 Drilling Operations, 1.12.1 Measurement While Drilling, 1.11.2 Drilling Fluid Selection and Formulation (Chemistry, Properties), 4.1.2 Separation and Treating, 1.12.2 Logging While Drilling, 1.6.1 Drilling Operation Management, 1.12.6 Drilling Data Management and Standards, 4.5.5 Installation Equipment and Techniques, 4.6 Natural Gas, 5.9.2 Geothermal Resources, 1.11 Drilling Fluids and Materials
- modeling, optimization, automation, envelope protection, drilling
- 5 in the last 30 days
- 902 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 12.00|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 35.00|
A new system for real-time optimization and automated control of the drilling process has been tested successfully on the Statfjord C platform in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea.
The demonstrated system uses continuously calibrated dynamic process models combined with real-time drilling-data input to calculate available parameter windows, and forward-model simulations are applied to provide optimized operational parameter sequences. The calculation results are applied directly in machine control. The system further applies automated testing combined with continuous diagnostics to provide process advisory.
In the field test, pipe-movement control automation, pump-rate control automation, and automated wellbore-condition diagnostics were demonstrated, proving fail-safe application of process safeguard enforcement and optimization of operational procedures. Results from active and passive testing indicated that the new methodology has the ability to improve drilling-process reliability, safely increase drilling efficiency, and reduce the risk of human error.
The authors provide a thorough description of the preparations and testing and present an evaluation of the test results, with reference to success criteria that were developed in cooperation with the field operator and drilling contractors involved in the test. Implications for the work organization are also discussed, particularly in relation to control of data input, decision making, and responsibility.
The demonstrated technology applies direct integration of current know-how and best practices into the drilling-control system, and available real-time information is applied directly in controlling the drilling process.
|File Size||1 MB||Number of Pages||13|
Bjørkevoll, K.S., Rommetveit, R., Aas, B., Gjeraldstveit, H., and Merlo, A.2003. Transient Gel Breaking Modelfor Critical Wells Applications With Field Data Verification. Paper SPE79843 presented at the SPE/IADC Drilling Conference, Amsterdam, 19-21 February.doi: 10.2118/79843-MS.
Bourgoyne, A.T., Millheim, K.K., Chenevert ,M.E., and Young, S.F. 1986.Applied Drilling Engineering. Textbook Series, SPE, Richardson, Texas2: 129-130.
Corre, B., Eymard, R., and Guenot, A. 1984. Numerical Computation of TemperatureDistribution in a Wellbore While Drilling. Paper SPE 13208 presented at theSPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Houston, 16-19 September. doi:10.2118/13208-MS.
Drillers' work situation 2007/2008. 2008. Survey Report, Petroleum SafetyAuthority Norway (PSA), Stavanger, Norway.
Gravdal, J.E., Lorentzen, R.J., Fjelde, K.K., and Vefring, E.H. 2005. Tuning of Computer Model Parametersin Managed-Pressure Drilling Applications Using an Unscented Kalman FilterTechnique. Paper 97028 presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference andExhibition, Dallas, 9-12 October. doi: 10.2118/97028-MS.
Iversen F.P., Cayeux, E., Dvergsnes, E.W., Gravdal, J.E., Vefring, E.H.,Mykletun, B., Torsvoll, A., Omdal, S., and Merlo, A. 2006. Monitoringand Control of Drilling Utilizing Continuously Updated Process Models.Paper SPE 99207 presented at the SPE/IADC Drilling Conference, Miami, Florida,USA, 21-23 February. doi: 10.2118/99207-MS.
Iversen, F., Cayeux, E., Dvergsnes, E.W., Welmer, M., Torsvoll, A., andMerlo, A. 2007. Demonstrating a New System for Integrated Drilling Control.Paper AADE-07-NTCE-45 presented at the 2007 AADE National Technical Conferenceand Exhibition, Houston, 10-12 April.
Lyons, W.C. and Plisga, G.J. 2005. Standard Handbook of Petroleum andNatural Gas Engineering, second edition, 2-20, 22. Burlington, Massachusetts:Gulf Professional Publishing.
Sørhaug, T. 1996. Om ledelse--Makt og tillit i modene organisering.Oslo, Norway: Universitetsforlaget.
Tonnesen, H.A., Berg, B., Stromsnes, O., Kvalvaag, T., and Pedersen, S.1995. Integrated DrillingSystem. Paper SPE 30184 presented at the Petroleum Computer Conference,Houston, 11-14 June. doi: 10.2118/30184-MS.
Vefring, E.H., Anfinsen, B.T., Bjørkevoll, K.S., and Rommetveit, R. 1994.Simulator Accurately Predicts Conditions in HTHP Wells. Oil & GasJournal 92 (41): 77-80.
Yi, Y., Lund, B., Aas, B., Xiaojun, A., Rommetveit, R., Salem, L.D., Stokka,S., and Bottazzi, F. 2004. AnAdvanced Coiled Tubing Simulator for Calculations of Mechanical Flow Effects;Model Advancements and Full-Scale Verification Experiments. Paper SPE 89455presented at the SPE/ICoTa Coiled Tubing Conference and Exhibition, Houston,23-24 March. doi: 10.2118/89455-MS.
Frøyen, J., Sævareid, O., and Vefring, E. H. 2000. Discretization,implementation and testing of a semi-implicit method. Technical ReportRF-2000/157, International Research Institute of Stavanger, Norway.
Ervik, R. 2008. Drilltronics Implementation Study. Project ReportIRIS-2008/128, IRIS, Stavanger, Norway.