Low-Salinity Polymer Flooding in a High-Temperature Low-Permeability Carbonate Reservoir in West Kuwait
- Mohammed Taha Al-Murayri (Kuwait Oil Company) | Dawood S. Kamal (Kuwait Oil Company) | Hessa M. Al-Sabah (Kuwait Oil Company) | Tareq AbdulSalam (Kuwait Oil Company) | Adnan Al-Shamali (Kuwait Oil Company) | Riyad Quttainah (Kuwait Oil Company) | Dan Glushko (Ultimate EOR Services LLC) | Chris Britton (Ultimate EOR Services LLC) | Mojdeh Delshad (Ultimate EOR Services LLC) | Jith Liyanage (Ultimate EOR Services LLC) | Robert Matthew Dean (Ultimate EOR Services LLC)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE Kuwait Oil & Gas Show and Conference, 13-16 October, Mishref, Kuwait
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2019. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Polymer, Sandstone reservoir, Rheology, Kuwait, Low salinity
- 14 in the last 30 days
- 94 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 9.50|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
While polymer flooding has widely been used as a successful technology to improve mobility control and sweep efficiency in many oil reservoirs, its applicability under harsh temperature/salinity conditions and in low-permeability reservoirs has prohibitively remained a challenge.
This study was aimed at investigating the feasibility of low-salinity polymer flooding in a very challenging reservoir located in Kuwait with low permeability (< 10 mD), high temperature (113°C), high salinity (~239,000 ppm), high hardness (~20,000 ppm), and carbonate mineralogy. The evaluation was conducted through a series of systematic laboratory studies including polymer rheology, thermal stability, and transportability using coreflood tests.
Our results highlight that the common constraints may be overcome by careful selection of polymer/cosolvent/pre-shearing and appropriate design of low-salinity polymer flooding.
|File Size||1 MB||Number of Pages||16|
Al-Qattan, A., Sanaseeri, A., Al-Saleh, Z., Singh, B.B, Al-Kaaoud, H., Delshad, M., Hernandez, R., Wnoto, W., ., "Low Salinity Waterflood and Low Salinity Polymer Injection in the Wara Reservoir of the Greater Burgan Field, Kuwait," SPE 190481-presented at SPE EOR Conference at Oil and Gas West Asia held in Muscat, Oman, 26-28 March 2018.
Jabbar., M.Y., Rong, X., Telezke,G.F., Obeidi, A.A., Sowaidi, A.A., Britton, C., Delshad, M., Li, Z.,"Polymer EOR Assessment Through Integrated Laboratory and Simulation Evaluation for an Offshore Middle East Carbonate Reservoir," SPE 193274, Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC), Nov. 11-14, 2018.