Refracturing Technology Restores Profitability of Older Unconventional Wells in Southeast New Mexico
- Amrut Athavale (Occidental Petroleum) | Adebayo Onafowokan (Occidental Petroleum) | Carl Kasdano (Occidental Petroleum) | Sunil Lakshminarayanan (Occidental Petroleum) | Lisset Sousa (Occidental Petroleum)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE Hydraulic Fracturing Technology Conference and Exhibition, 5-7 February, The Woodlands, Texas, USA
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2019. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 3 Production and Well Operations, 4.1 Processing Systems and Design, 2.2 Installation and Completion Operations, 2.1.3 Completion Equipment, 1.6 Drilling Operations, 7.1.9 Project Economic Analysis, 7 Management and Information, 2.4 Hydraulic Fracturing, 7.1 Asset and Portfolio Management, 4.1.2 Separation and Treating, 4 Facilities Design, Construction and Operation, 2.5.5 Re-fracturing, 3.5.1 Candidate Selection, 2.4.1 Fracture design and containment, 1.6.6 Directional Drilling, 7.1.10 Field Economic Analysis, 2 Well completion, 3.5 Well Intervention
- Isolation, Expandable, Profitability, Technology, Re-fracturing
- 422 in the last 30 days
- 422 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 8.50|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 25.00|
This paper covers four case histories of refracturing technology applied to under-stimulated wells, along with the benefits and well economics of returning these older wells to profitable production. Refracturing candidate selection criteria, operational execution, and well results for the four full-lateral refracturing projects are discussed.
Refracturing candidate selection criteria were developed based on several parameters tied to improved production and project economics. Liner refrac methods were evaluated to select wells and field trials were performed to verify each method provided both ease of execution and isolation. Cemented liners and several expandable liner systems were evaluated. With effective mechanical isolation, highly effective modern frac designs can be applied successfully to refracs.
The refracturing candidate wells outperformed the expected type curve and yielded positive economics. One cemented liner refrac showed poor isolation during treatment. Expandable liners showed good isolation, but some expandable technologies were better than others were. Rigorous planning and engineering were considered crucial to ensure trouble-free operational execution and to deliver an optimum wellbore for refracturing purposes.
The criteria for refracs included in this paper are directly applicable for evaluating refrac candidates. The experience with isolation methods enables engineers to select the proper technology to seal old perforations.
|File Size||1 MB||Number of Pages||12|
Diakhate, M., Gazawi, A., Barree, R. D.. 2015. Refracturing on Horizontal Wells in the Eagle Ford Shale in South Texas – One Operator's Perspective. Presented at the SPE Hydraulic Fracturing Technical Conference, The Woodlands, Texas, USA, 3-5 February. SPE-173333-MS. https://doi.org/10.2118/173333-MS
Malpani, R., Sinha, S., Charry, L.. 2015. Improving Hydrocarbon Recovery of Horizontal Shale Wells Through Refracturing. Presented at the SPE/CSUR Unconventional Resources Conference, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 20-22 October. SPE-175920-MS. https://doi.org/10.2118/175920-MS
Trebing, C., Whitworth, J., and Beszterda, A. 2015. Cost-Effective Solutions to Achieve Injection Post Toe Valve Failure. Presented at the SPE/ICoTA Coiled Tubing and Well Intervention Conference and Exhibition, The Woodlands, Texas, USA, 24-25 March. SPE-173678-MS. https://doi.org/10.2118/173678-MS
Connell, P., and Haughton, D. 2005. Vectored Annulus Cleaning System. Presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Dallas, TX, USA, 9-12 October. SPE-96440-MS. https://doi.org/10.2118/96440-MS
French, S., Rodgerson, J., and Feik, C. 2014. Re-fracturing Horizontal Shale Wells: Case History of a Woodford Shale Pilot Project. Presented at the SPE Hydraulic Fracturing Technology Conference, The Woodlands, Texas, USA, 4-6 February. SPE-168607-MS. https://doi.org/10.2118/168607-MS