From Exploration to Production in Record Time: A Case Study of Lower Fars Heavy Oil Reservoir in Umm Niqqa Field, Kuwait
- Abdulaziz Sajer (Kuwait Oil Company) | Haifa Al-Bader (Kuwait Oil Company) | Abdullah Al-Rabah (Kuwait Oil Company) | Sunil Singh (Kuwait Oil Company) | Khalid Harami (Schlumberger) | Garahm Dillabough (Kuwait Oil Company) | Afrah Al-Ajmi (Kuwait Oil Company) | Abdullah Al-Ibrahim (Kuwait Oil Company) | Mani Maran Ayyavoo (Kuwait Oil Company) | Abdullah Al-Ateeq (Kuwait Oil Company) | Ammar BoSalhah (Kuwait Oil Company) | Jalal Dashti (Kuwait Oil Company) | Faisal Al-Qattan (Kuwait Oil Company) | Shoroq Al-Houti (Kuwait Oil Company) | Sudhakar Mushnuri (Kuwait Oil Company) | Awad William (Schlumberger) | Luis Arguello (Schlumberger) | Pratik Sangani (Schlumberger) | Sandeep Chakravorty (Schlumberger) | Francy Franco (Schlumberger) | Roberto Sahmkow (Schlumberger)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE International Heavy Oil Conference and Exhibition, 10-12 December, Kuwait City, Kuwait
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2018. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 3.3 Well & Reservoir Surveillance and Monitoring, 7.1 Asset and Portfolio Management, 1.6 Drilling Operations, 3 Production and Well Operations, 2.2 Installation and Completion Operations, 3.1 Artificial Lift Systems, 2.2 Installation and Completion Operations, 3.3.6 Integrated Modeling, 3 Production and Well Operations, 7.1.6 Field Development Optimization and Planning, 7 Management and Information, 3 Production and Well Operations
- Heavy Oil, Project Management, Fastrack exploration to production, Pore to Pipeline
- 3 in the last 30 days
- 81 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 8.50|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 25.00|
Conventionally discovery to development of a heavy oil reservoir takes very long (Minimum 10-15years). However, significant volatility in the oil prices have required more collaborative workflows and strategies from operators and service companies to optimize cost and maximize efficiency and innovation. We present here a joint service integrated model between an NOC and a service company which was used in the fast track development of an unconventional heavy oil reservoir and resulted in discovery to production in record time.
A conceptual field development plan was put in place for fast track development of the Lower Fars reservoir in the Umm Niqqa field after drilling and testing 26 exploration wells. The plan consisted of drilling and completing over 80 wells in conjunction with the construction and commissioning of an early production facility (EPF) to handle the sour heavy crude. Given the brief time and the unconventional nature of the reservoir, significant challenges were faced during the execution phase. To address the challenges, an integrated workflow was put in place combining multiple disciplines. The entire project required seamless integration between drilling, characterization, production and surface facility teams for flawless execution. The collaboration resulted in successfully drilling and completing all planned wells in less than 1 year.
This paper describes the tasks performed during the project for successful execution. It was initiated by a robust assessment of the discovery in terms of OIIP and type of hydrocarbon. It further describes the construction of a fit for purpose field development plan. During the execution phase we explain the challenges faced while drilling deviated wells in soft unconsolidated reservoirs with extremely shallow kick off points. The challenges in logging and evaluating deviated wells to optimize completion strategy are also described. The optimization of testing, completions and artificial lift workflows played a significant role is assessing the dynamic behavior of these reservoirs. The workflows in conjunction with continuous production monitoring and workover planning allowed the minimization of non-productive time (NPT). We further highlight the surface facility designed for such heavy sour crude and the recommendation for future development.
|File Size||2 MB||Number of Pages||13|
Anjaneyulu Singavarapu*, Sunil Kumar Singh, Marco Alvarez, Hanan Al-Owihan, Afrah Al-Ajmi, Sarah Al-Rashidi; "Seismic attributes and wave form classification: An emerging tool for exploration of shallow oil play, Kuwait", SEG 2014, Denver http://dx.doi.org/10.1190/segam2014-1000.1