Experience Using Managed Pressure Cementing Techniques with Riserless Mud Recovery and Controlled Mud Level in the Barents Sea
- E. Claudey (Enhanced Drilling) | B. Fossli (Enhanced Drilling) | B. Elahifar (Enhanced Drilling) | Z. Qiang (Enhanced Drilling) | M. Olsen (Halliburton) | J. Mo (Lundin AS)
- Document ID
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- SPE Norway One Day Seminar, 18 April, Bergen, Norway
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2018. Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 3.5 Well Decommissioning and Site Remediation, 4.2 Pipelines, Flowlines and Risers, 1.3.2 Subsea Wellheads, 4.6 Natural Gas, 5.8.7 Carbonate Reservoir, 5 Reservoir Desciption & Dynamics, 1.6.10 Running and Setting Casing, 2.2 Installation and Completion Operations, 4.2.4 Risers, 5.8.6 Naturally Fractured Reservoir, 1.14.3 Cement Formulation (Chemistry, Properties), 1.7.5 Well Control, 4.6 Natural Gas, 1.3 Wellhead design, 2.1.3 Completion Equipment, 1.14 Casing and Cementing, 1.10 Drilling Equipment, 1.10 Drilling Equipment, 3 Production and Well Operations, 5.8 Unconventional and Complex Reservoirs, 3 Production and Well Operations, 1.6 Drilling Operations, 1.7 Pressure Management, 3.6.2 Plugging Materials, 4 Facilities Design, Construction and Operation, 2 Well completion
- MPC, drilling, cementing, Barents, CML
- 7 in the last 30 days
- 176 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 9.50|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 28.00|
The Barents Sea offers unique drilling challenges related to issues such as biogenetic gas in shallow formations, thermogenic gas seeps up to the seabed from underlying formations, shallow formations with abnormal pressure, shallow reservoirs, low-fracture-pressure formations in part of the overburden, and naturally fractured/karstified carbonate reservoirs. This paper discusses cementing challenges when drilling wells in the Barents Sea and the experience gained using managed pressure cementing (MPC) practices.
When drilling the surface hole in potentially slightly overpressured formations, the riserless mud recovery (RMR) technique was used. For the first time on the Norwegian Continental Shelf (NCS), MPC was used when cementing the surface casing. RMR compensates for drilling the overpressurized zones without a riser and blowout preventer (BOP), and MPC allows for pressurization and monitoring of the pressure on the subsea wellhead toward the formation during the cement curing stage.
Once the marine riser and BOP were installed, controlled mud level (CML) technology was used during drilling, running casing/liners, cementing operations, and other activities. CML enables manipulation of the fluid level in the riser and therefore helps optimize downhole pressure to avoid losses and maintain an overbalance. CML has proven to be particularly useful during cementing of liners in naturally fractured reservoirs and during setting of balanced cement plugs in an open hole. As a result, high circulation rates can be achieved and conventional high-density cement slurries can be used.
MPC using either RMR or CML was employed for the first time in the Barents Sea. Examples of how cementing operations were planned and executed are described and results are presented.
|File Size||2 MB||Number of Pages||18|
Baten, R., Cohen, J., Gaassand, S.. 2016. Installation of a Controlled Mud Level Managed Pressure Drilling System onto a MODU. Presented at the SPE/IADC Managed Pressure Drilling and Underbalanced Operations Conference and Exhibition, Galveston, Texas, USA, 12–13 April. SPE-179499-MS. https://doi.org/10.2118/179499.
Bysveen, J., Fossli, B., Stenshorne, P.C.. 2017. Planning of an MPD and Controlled Mud Cap Drilling CMCD Operation in the Barents Sea Using the CML Technology. Presented at the IADC/SPE Managed Pressure Drilling & Underbalanced Operations Conference & Exhibition, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 28–29 March. SPE-185286-MS. https://doi.org/10.2118/185286-MS.
Claudey, E., Maubach, C., and Ferrari, S. 2016. Deepest Deployment of Riserless Dual Gradient Mud Recovery System in Drilling Operation in the North Sea. Presented at the SPE Bergen One Day Seminar, Bergen, Norway, 20 April. SPE-179999-MS. https://doi.org/10.2118/179999-MS.
Godhavn, J-M., Hauge, E., Molde, D.O.. 2014. ECD Management Toolbox for Floating Drilling Units. Presented at the Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Texas, USA, 5–8 May. OTC-25292-MS. https://doi.org/10.4043/25292.