Theoretical study of cross-dipole acoustic wave propagation in a symmetrically partitioned isotropic model
- Chao Li (Beijing Engineering and Technology Research Center for Deep Drilling Exploration and Measurement, State Key Laboratory of Acoustics, Institute of Acoustics, Chinese Academy of Sciences) | Xiao He (Beijing Engineering and Technology Research Center for Deep Drilling Exploration and Measurement, State Key Laboratory of Acoustics, Institute of Acoustics, Chinese Academy of Sciences) | Yunhong Song (Beijing Engineering and Technology Research Center for Deep Drilling Exploration and Measurement, State Key Laboratory of Acoustics, Institute of Acoustics, Chinese Academy of Sciences) | Xiuming Wang (Beijing Engineering and Technology Research Center for Deep Drilling Exploration and Measurement, State Key Laboratory of Acoustics, Institute of Acoustics, Chinese Academy of Sciences)
- Document ID
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists
- SEG International Exposition and Annual Meeting, 15-20 September, San Antonio, Texas, USA
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2019. Society of Exploration Geophysicists
- Anisotropy, Borehole acoustics, HTI, Wave propagation, Modeling
- 2 in the last 30 days
- 2 since 2007
- Show more detail
Laboratory study of HTI (Horizontal Transverse Isotropy) medium for cross-dipole measurement has long been a difficult task since large scale artificial HTI medium is very difficult to acquire and its anisotropic parameters are hard to control. We proposed a SPI (Symmetrically Partitioned Isotropic) model for cross-dipole acoustic logging to build an equivalent relation for its measurement in HTI medium which can be easily achieved. Firstly, four-component cross-dipole acoustic logging simulation with different source directions are performed in SPI model. The results show that two shear waves with different velocity can be found and they are irrelevant to the source directions. Moreover, an empirical formula to approximately estimate the low frequency fast and slow flexural wave velocity and the equivalent anisotropy magnitude is developed. The formula is tested to conform its accuracy. Therefore, a simple equivalent anisotropic model is developed which could be used both in laboratory and field experiment for cross-dipole acoustic logging. The results could also help to understand the dipole wave propagation in the heterogeneous formation.
Presentation Date: Monday, September 16, 2019
Session Start Time: 1:50 PM
Presentation Time: 3:05 PM
Location: Poster Station 4
Presentation Type: Poster
|File Size||609 KB||Number of Pages||5|
Alford,R. M.,1986,Shear data in the presence of azimuthal anisotropy: Dilley, Texas:56th Annual International Meeting, SEG,Expanded Abstracts,476–479, doi:10.1190/1.1893036.
He,X.,H.S.Hu, andW.Guan,2010,Fast and slow flexural waves in a deviated borehole in homogeneous and layered anisotropic formations:Geophysical Journal International,181,417–426, doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.2010.04503.x.
Liu,Q.H.,E.Schoen,F.Daube,C.Randall,H.Liu, andP.Lee,1996,A three-dimensional finite difference simulation of sonic logging:The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America,100,72–79, doi:10.1121/1.415869.
Sinha,B.K.,A.N.Norris, andS.K.Chang,1994,Borehole flexural modes in anisotropic formations:Geophysics,59,1037–1052, doi:10.1190/1.1443660.
Sinha,B. K.,T.J.Plona,S.Kostek, andS.K.Chang,1992,Axisymmetric wave propagation in fluid-loaded cylindrical shells. I: Theory:The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America,92,1132–1143, doi:10.1121/1.404040.
Su,Y. D.,Z.Li,S.Xu,C. X.Zhuang, andX. M.Tang,2018,Elastic-wave evaluation of downhole hydraulic fracturing: Modeling and field applications:Geophysics,83,no.1,D1–D8, doi:10.1190/geo2017-0054.1.
Tang,X. M., andR. K.Chunduru,1999,Simultaneous inversion of formation shear-wave anisotropy parameters from cross-dipole acoustic-array waveform data:Geophysics,64,1502–1511, doi:10.1190/1.1444654.
Wang,T., andX.M.Tang,2003,Finite-difference modeling of elastic wave propagation: A nonsplitting perfectly matched layer approach:Geophysics,68,1749–1755, doi:10.1190/1.1620648.
Zeng,F.Q.,W.Z.Yue, andC.Li,2018,Simultaneous anisotropy inversion and type identification in the frequency domain for flexural waves in horizontal transverse isotropic media:Geophysics,83,no.6,C221–C237, doi:10.1190/geo2018-0139.1.
Zhang,X.M.,X.M.Wang,H.L.Zhang, andD.H.Chen,2013,Wave propagation in a fluid-filled shell excited by a dipole source:Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics, ASA,19,045055, doi:10.1121/1.4799314.
Zheng,Y.B.,X.M.Tang, andD.J.Patterson,2009,Borehole acoustic dipole response with drilling-induced vertical fractures:79th Annual International Meeting, SEG,Expanded Abstracts,356–360, doi:10.1190/1.3255607.