Managing Risks Associated with Upstream Oil and Gas Field Operations: A Specialized Field Risk Management SFRM Program
- Alison Cramer Ballon (Occidental Oil & Gas) | Robert Barrow (Occidental Oil & Gas) | Mark Slezak (Occidental Petroleum Corporation) | Sandipan Laskar (Occidental of Oman)
- Document ID
- Offshore Technology Conference
- Offshore Technology Conference, 4-7 May, Houston, Texas, USA
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2020. Offshore Technology Conference
- 6.3 Safety, 7 Management and Information, 7.2 Risk Management and Decision-Making, 6.3.3 Operational Safety, 7.2.1 Risk, Uncertainty and Risk Assessment
- High Risk Field Asset Management, Offsite Impact, Risk Management, Safe Oil and Gas Field production
- 7 in the last 30 days
- 53 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
Oxy places the highest value on maintaining safe operations that not only seek to protect the health and safety of on-site company personnel and contractors but also strives to prevent potential adverse impacts to the environment, people, and property in the communities where we operate. Achieving our goals requires proactive and effective management of potential business risks and development and implementation of appropriate mitigation actions.
Oxy operates field assets utilized in the production of oil and gas that are located near public receptors. The risk team developed and implements a preventive risk identification and management program to identify, evaluate and manage these risks posed by assets located near public receptors using a consistent method.
This paper describes the overall framework of this program, referred to as a specialized field risk management (SFRM) program, and the processes and methodologies used to evaluate and manage assets located near public receptors. The program first evaluates field assets in comparison with conservative criteria to identify the assets that may have the greatest potential to injure people, harm the environment or damage property should an event occur. Risks are then assessed, mitigation plans developed, and risk mitigation measures implemented. The SFRM program covers topics that include release scenarios, receptor types, impact thresholds, screening methodology, dispersion modelling, and risk mitigation measures.
The SFRM program supports the company's proactive approach towards managing risk and increases company confidence with the assurance of the identification and management of risks associated with assets located near public receptors.
|File Size||815 KB||Number of Pages||9|