Why Not Boosting? Uncover the True Value of Your Subsea Asset
- Morten Stenhaug (Schlumberger OneSubsea) | Hongkun Dong (Schlumberger OneSubsea) | Mads Hjelmeland (Schlumberger OneSubsea)
- Document ID
- Offshore Technology Conference
- Offshore Technology Conference, 6-9 May, Houston, Texas
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2019. Offshore Technology Conference
- 7.2.3 Decision-making Processes, 6.3 Safety, 4 Facilities Design, Construction and Operation, 3 Production and Well Operations, 2 Well completion, 7 Management and Information, 2.7.1 Completion Fluids, 3.1 Artificial Lift Systems, 7.2 Risk Management and Decision-Making, 3.1.6 Gas Lift, 4.3 Flow Assurance, 2.7 Completion Fluids
- Artificial lift, Subsea Boosting, Field Development, Increased oil recovery, Subsea Processing
- 41 in the last 30 days
- 226 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
The first subsea multiphase boosting system was installed in 1994 and it is today a proven technology with a global track record. In addition to bringing increased production and recovery, multiphase boosting may also reduce flow assurance issues, reduce project CAPEX and OPEX, improve operability and safety as well as reduce the greenhouse gas emissions when compared to gas lift, the default lifting solution.
A review of the evaluation process and drivers during subsea artificial lift evaluations over the last three decades indicates that in general only a few of the actual upsides of subsea multiphase boosting have been considered, suggesting that there is a need for a more complete overview of the advantages and an approach to uncovering and quantifying the actual value.
This paper discusses the different aspects of subsea multiphase boosting through a comprehensive list of tangible benefits that may support the field development decision process towards identifying the potentially significant and hidden value of subsea multiphase boosting. Referencing experience from more than 30 installations it also provides a historical summary of the various aspects of subsea boosting and which drivers were and were not considered during the decision making process.
|File Size||1 MB||Number of Pages||18|
GlobalData Energy: "Over $58.5bn Will Be Spent on North Sea's Upstream Capex over Next Three Years," Offshore-Technology.com, https://www.offshore-technology.com/comment/58-5bn-will-spent-north-seas-upstream-capex-next-three-years/
S. Moore: "Multiphase Pumping Addresses a Wide Range of Operating Problems," Oil & Gas Journal, 2003, "https://www.ogj.com/articles/print/volume-101/issue-37/special-report/multiphase-pumping-addresses-a-wide-range-of-operating-problems.html
S. Olson: "Multiphase Pumping for Oil & Gas Industry," Empowering Pumps & Equipment, 2018, http://empoweringpumps.com/multiphase-pumping-oil-gas-leistritz/
The Guardian: "Norway to double carbon tax on oil industry," 2012, https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/oct/11/norway-carbon-tax-oil