Stones Development: Turritella FPSO - Design and Fabrication of the World's Deepest Producing Unit
- Blake Moore (Shell International Exploration and Production) | Andrew Easton (Shell International Exploration and Production) | Jonathan Cabrera (Shell International Exploration and Production) | Carl Webb (Shell International Exploration and Production) | Babu George (SBM Offshore)
- Document ID
- Offshore Technology Conference
- Offshore Technology Conference, 1-4 May, Houston, Texas, USA
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2017. Offshore Technology Conference
- 4.5 Offshore Facilities and Subsea Systems, 4 Facilities Design, Construction and Operation, 6.3 Safety, 4.5.3 Floating Production Systems, 4.2 Pipelines, Flowlines and Risers, 4.2.4 Risers, 6.3.5 Process Safety
- Stones, Buoy, Turritella, disconnectable, FPSO
- 2 in the last 30 days
- 191 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
The Stones Project is Shell Offshore Inc.'s ("Shell") play opener discovery in the emerging Lower Tertiary trend in the Gulf of Mexico ultra-deep water (9,500 ft. water depth). To address the step wise development of the Stones field, Shell selected a floating production, storage and offloading unit ("FPSO") for the floating production system. The Turritella FPSO is the deepest floating production system in the world and presented many challenges to successful execution of the surface host facilities.
New Technology (Deep-water disconnectable buoy accommodating Steel Lazy Wave Risers)
New ways of working (minimum specification focus on technical process safety aspects)
Regulatory (2nd FPSO in the GOM)
This paper will address key design elements and choices made in the design, as well as providing a summary of the FPSO Turritella fabrication, transportation, installation and startup.
The Turritella FPSO was executed under an Engineering Procurement and Construction (EPC) contract with SBM Offshore Inc. which required a new way of working for Shell's typical Deepwater Gulf of Mexico ("GOM") delivery team. With a focus on safety, quality, and planning, the FPSO was successfully delivered and commenced production in September 2016.
|File Size||1 MB||Number of Pages||15|