Viability of Dual Electric Submersible Pumps as a Reliable Backup System in Offshore Environment
- Sagun Devshali (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation) | Sunil Arora (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation) | Sanjay Malhotra (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation) | B.V.R.V. Prasad (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation) | Rishabh Uniyal (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation)
- Document ID
- International Petroleum Technology Conference
- International Petroleum Technology Conference, 13-15 January, Dhahran, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Publication Date
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- 2020. International Petroleum Technology Conference
- Runlife, Electric Submersible Pumps, Back Up, Mean Time Between Failure, Failure
- 5 in the last 30 days
- 5 since 2007
- Show more detail
- View rights & permissions
|SPE Member Price:||USD 7.00|
|SPE Non-Member Price:||USD 23.00|
Electric Submersible Pump is an effective and economical means of lifting large volumes of liquid under a variety of well conditions. Though ESP is a proven technology that has been successfully implemented, the sudden and unexpected failures of ESPs in some wells cause unwarranted decrements in production. As the production volumes through ESPs are generally high, failure in ESP system, leads to substantial production deferment leading to a considerable loss in terms of revenue and resources.
Alpha field is one of the most prolific oil fields spread over an area of 110 km2 in Western Offshore. The field has 4 wellhead platforms with 34 oil producers producing about 45,900 BLPD with 51 % average water cut from 27 wells. The substantial drop in oil production by about 4500 bopd due to unexpected ESP failures in 7 wells led to the study for finding out the feasibility of dual electric submersible pumps in the field.
The performance of ESP has been continuously monitored in the field. The failure and trip down rates for ESPs were very high in the beginning with run-life only in the range of 2-3 months. However, with continuous improvement, the run life of ESPs is increased to 2to 2.5 years at present. Though, the run life is increased, any unexpected failure of ESP system can stillnot be avoided. The Dual ESP system can act as a backup system in all the wells. The advantage of being able to stretch the operational run life and continue oil production until favors the system for application of Dual ESP in offshore environments where ESP failures especially during monsoon leads to deferred production for a long time
Following paper is an attempt to address issues related to minimizing the downtime of ESPs and production enhancement and also discusses the viability of using back-up ESP system in offshore environment.
|File Size||712 KB||Number of Pages||11|