Well control is the management of the hazardous effects caused by the unexpected well release. In a production well, downhole safety valve and X-mass tree are considered the main barriers against the well release in the event of a worst case scenario surface disaster. Inadequate risk management and improperly managed well control situations cause blowouts, potentially resulting in a fire hazard.

This paper describes a case history of a production well where a tubing string was roded severely during production phase. The problem was detected while attempting to retrieve the separation sleeve in the long string which was not accessible at the required depth. Downhole camera indicated that 90% of the long string had been eroded and remaining 10% is connected with the flow coupling. Thus, full workover job was required to replace tubing strings. However, the lack of well control barrier in the tubing to prevent uncontrolled flow of hydrocarbons prior to blowout preventer (BOP) installation for the workover was a serious safety concern.

Introduction of Nippleless Tubing-Stop Plug technology provide an effective, safe and economical remedial solution to the problem.

You can access this article if you purchase or spend a download.