The BP operated Azeri Chirag Gunashli (ACG) reservoir is the largest oil field under development in the Caspian basin. Production began in 1997 and it has estimated recoverable reserves of 5.4 bn bbl. The ACG Full Field Development (FFD) offshore facilities are designed to separate and reinject 95% of the Produced Water (PW) offshore and the remaining 5% comes onshore commingled with the oil. Onshore oil in water separation is processed at the BP operated Sangachal terminal, Azerbaijan, to meet the specification for export in the Baku -Tiblisi - Cheyhan (BTC) pipeline.

Produced Water (PW) profiling identifies that PW production will reach peak volumes in 2009 and a PW solution capable of handling these would be required to be operational. The BP Major Projects Common Process (MPCP) was the assessment tool used to assess potential project options. Twelve options were identified from studies to consider PW disposal. On further assessment five options were considered for further engineering development and assessment.

The project criteria used to conduct the assessments were; technical, safety, environmental, socio-economic, reputation and cost. Therefore ensuring Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) considerations where included as a holistic part of project concept identification. Project options included two onshore sites for PW injection, a biological treatment plant and discharge to the Caspian Sea and offshore reinjection via a pipeline after onshore treatment.

The project ranked in first position after the criteria assessment will be delivered for PW management. This option includes onshore treatment and a 189 km PW pipeline offshore to tie into a BP operated water reinjection platform. The project selection process undertaken demonstrates a holistic HSE approach as part of the overall criteria assessment ensuring that the final option selected is consistent with the ACG HSE standards.

You can access this article if you purchase or spend a download.