Abstract

Traditionally individual well oil, gas and water production is measured periodically e.g. monthly, using shared well test facilities. Consequently, oil and gas production from a cluster of wells is difficult to manage, leading to late diagnosis of production problems and slow and conservative handling of production constraints. FieldWare Production Universe (FWPU) is a software application developed by Shell that provides continuous real time estimates of well-by-well oil, water and gas production. FieldWare PU estimates are based on data driven models constructed and updated from production well tests and real time production data.

This paper will discuss use of FieldWare PU for continuous optimization by predicting changes to overall and individual well production as a result of changes to individual well production chokes, lift-gas rates or other similar set-points to maximize an objective function subject to various well and overall production constraints.

Introduction

In conventional practice, individual well oil, gas and water production is measured periodically on a weekly or monthly basis using shared well test facilities -- the net effect is that wells are measured only about 1% of the time and it is assumed that well production remains the same for the remaining 99% of the time -- this assumption leads to significant production management issues. Hence, oil and gas production from a cluster of wells is difficult to manage, leading to late diagnosis of production problems and slow and conservative handling of production constraints -- if you do not measure continuously, how can you effectively manage the assets? FieldWare Production Universe (FWPU)is a software application developed by Shell that provides continuous real time estimates of well-by-well oil, water and gas production. FieldWare PU estimates are based on data driven models constructed and updated from production well tests and real time production data. FWPUis relatively cost effective and fast to deploy as it uses for them most part existing infrastructure.

This article addresses application of FieldWare PU data driven techniques for well and process optimization. For optimization FieldWare PU data driven well models allow the prediction of the changes to overall and individual well production as a result of changes to individual well production chokes, lift-gas rates or other similar set-points. Well setpoints are then computed for optimizing oil and gas production subject to various well and overall production constraints.

This content is only available via PDF.
You can access this article if you purchase or spend a download.